Libraries are open from 9:00 am to 8:30 pm today
You are here
Is the book you want checked out by somebody else? Or is it on the shelf at another Kitchener Public Library location? You may reserve items that are unavailable by placing a hold.
If an item is checked out, you can add your name to the holds list. Once the book is returned, it is made available for the first person on the list to sign out. Holds lists are a useful way to ensure that the book you want will be made available you.
If an item is available, but at another Kitchener Public Library location, you can have it sent to the library location of your choice to pick up.
Certain items cannot be placed on hold. These include Express Books, Express DVDs, and items marked as In-Library Use.
How to Place a Hold
- Search for an item in the library catalogue.
- When viewing the item you would like to reserve, click the "Request It" button (if using the Classic catalogue, the button will say "Place a Hold"). You will be asked to sign into your library account, if you have not done so already.
- Select which library location the item should be sent to for you to pick up, and click the Submit button.
- If the hold is successfully placed, you will see a message confirming the hold.
- When the hold is ready for you to pick up, you will be notified by either telephone or email. You will have 10 days to pick up the item.
Freeze Your Holds
Are you going on vacation? You can freeze your holds to ensure you won’t lose your place on the holds list.
- Sign into your account, and select “Holds”.
- A small box appears to the right of each item in your holds list, under the heading “Freeze”. Click the box to add a check mark beside each hold you want to freeze.
- Click the “Update List” button to freeze the selected holds.
When you are ready to receive your holds again, uncheck the boxes in your holds list and click the “Update List” button.
Cancel Your Holds
You can cancel a hold at any time before it is ready for you to pick up.
- Sign into your account and select “Holds”.
- A small box appears to the left of each item in your holds list, under the heading “Cancel”. Click the box to add a check mark beside each hold you want to cancel.
- Click the “Update List” button to cancel the selected holds.