Libraries are open from 9 am to 9 pm today
You are here
We are pleased to announce our 13th Annual Amateur Photography Contest!
The contest will take place January 2 - January 31, 2019.
Participants are invited to enter up to three photographs into the contest, in one or more of the following categories: Animals, Architecture, Landscape, People.
Rules and Guidelines
- The contest opens Wednesday, January 2nd. All entries must be received by Thursday, January 31 at 11:59 pm. Submissions received after this deadline will not be accepted.
- You may enter up to three photographs (total), in one or more of the following categories: Animals, Architecture, Landscape, People.
- All photographs must be entered online. We accept JPG and PNG files up to 8 MB in size. Please retain a copy of the highest-resolution image for reproduction purposes.
- Cropping and/or adjusting contrast to the overall picture is permitted. Digital alteration (e.g. changing sections of your photograph) is not permitted.
- Each photograph must be uploaded separately and completely. Entries which do not conform to the contest rules, or are incomplete, will be disqualified.
- Professional photographers are not eligible to enter. For the purposes of this contest, a professional is anyone who receives payment for photographic services or workshops (full or part-time).
- Judges' decisions are final.
- Contest-winning photographs from each category will be enlarged and displayed in Central Library’s Theatre Lobby during the month of April, and at Kitchener City Hall’s Berlin Tower ARTspace throughout the month of May. Select photographs will also appear in the Waterloo Region Record, and on Kitchener City Hall’s outdoor digital art gallery, the CUBE.
- Winners will be invited to an Awards Ceremony to be held Monday, April 1 at Central Library. Contest-winning photographs will be projected on the big screen as Rod Frketich, photo/graphics editor for the Record, discusses each. Contest-winning photographers will be invited to the stage to collect a plaque. The photographer awarded "Best in Show" will also receive a $200 gift card to use towards photo equipment and accessories.
- By entering this contest, the photographer agrees to have their winning entry published in The Waterloo Region Record, as well as on the Kitchener Public Library and Waterloo Region Record websites, Facebook pages and Twitter feeds, and other library promotions, this year and in future years.
Last year's contest winners
In partnership with: